Translate

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Weekend away

Have been away at Urchfont Manor with my mentor, Julia Capara and a group of fellow artists, this weekend. The weather yesterday was truly English, warm and sunny, it certainly bought the croquet enthusiasts out to play.

.

The borders in the garden were lovely to see, and the flowers were truly fragrant.


However that was not the purpose of the weekend. We go to work and we do that with enthusiasm and dedication to our art. The format of the weekend is structured. We have tutorials during the weekend and talk about our own work, and as all of the attendees exhibit in Galleries regularly, it is so encouraging to be able to dicuss our artwork at this level.

We also partake in a number of drawing activities through the course of the weekend as well as continue with our own work. This weekend we looked at cubism as a movement and its influences on textile art.


On this piece of work I was inspired to transpose the visual language of Picasso, by concentrating on the planes, composition and tones he used. This is A2 in size and the media used is graphite. It is not finished yet, and I will continue working on it over the next few weeks.

This is one of my compositions I shall call it "Bottle on a table" . Is that a good title do you think?
It was drawn from observation, then cut up and significant lines redrawn, and then tone and blended pattern added.
Many people do not understand Modern Art and in particular Cubism. I am always willing to learn about new ways of seeing if that may help me with my self expression. How do you feel about Modern Art.. Love it ---- ot hate it??


3 comments:

Digitalgran said...

Glad you had such a good weekend. I must admit I don't understand a lot of modern art, but can't say I hate it. I find some of it quite pleasing.

Gerry said...

It looks like you've having fun. Thanks for visiting my blog. Aren't schnauzer just the most wonderful pets? The cursor I got at: http://www.gallery.webfetti.com/webfetti/cursor/category/3/main.jhtml

Gerry said...

Oh, darn the link didn't come through. Contact me with your email and I'll send you the link!