Translate

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Stitching Time

Half term holidays at last, which for me means a little me time for stitching. Managed to do quite a few bits yesterday. Put the final stitches to the ATC's for Dales swap "downunder", only hope they arrive in time. I have never made them before and they are small and fiddley, need more practice! I also realised that I have never posted anything by snail mail to Australia before.......amazing!


As I was babysitting last night, took some handstitching with me and actually achieved quite a lot. Before I went I managed to needlefelt ( on the embellisher machine) some merino wool fibres onto some calico I had dyed in bright yellow. I backed it with some plain calico. Does that now qualify for a quilt?? Please let me know. I get confused by the "laws" for quilts, so am not sure if I have ever made one?To unify the coulours and the fibres I stitched into it all - like a Kantha - but without the pictures.


This is how much stitching I have done so far, not bad for an evening. I love the way the stitching distorts the fabric , and creates more surface texture. The colours tend to shift in exciting ways too.

The process of the stitching is very theraputic, the repetative sequence of stitching, the only decisions to be made are which direction and which colour. So simple.

5 comments:

Digitalgran said...

I love the handstitched piece and I have missed all your arty stuff recently. Keep it rolling! I love it all.

Gill said...

Wonderful colours and textures Maggie!

Unknown said...

Hi, Love the kantha style piece. Colours and textures look wonderful. In some places it would count as a quilt - some shows say "three layers", some specify that wadding should be used. Mostly it's just three layers, so yes, it can be a quilt if you want it to be :)

Helen

Liz Plummer said...

Your kantha is absolutely wonderful, Maggie.

Micki said...

These are lovely colors and the stitching looks great.