Translate

Friday, August 04, 2006

ups and downs of artists

First of all the "down"..........very disappointed to find out that the coach company have cancelled the trip to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in a couple of weeks time. What is wrong with the quilters in Wiltshire??? How are they all getting there?

On the "up" side, I have managed to get a few things done this last few days. So a quick resume to cheer myself up!


I have finished stitching this by hand in the Kantha style whilst watching TV. I am on holiday so the TV gets watched quite a bit! Here's a close up.


Have also been using my embellisher a bit more, with a background of white wool felt I have been laying on a varitey of different fabrics for their textural qualities and then needleing them with the embellisher. Finding a lot out about different fabric qualities.


I particularly like the way fine silk reacts under the needles of the embellisher.

Wonder what dyes I can use on this mix up of fabrics, as I would love to add some colour to this. Any ideas welcomed? Normally I would probably use paint, but now I have had a real "go" at dying, there must be a way of colouring all the different fibres in one go?


This idea of using different fabrics has evolved from some work I did with Yvonne Morton, the example above is machine stitched and hand stitched and I just love doing this technique, so to be able to do it on the embellisher is a real bonus.


Here's what I am handstitching at the moment another of my Kantha's.

1 comment:

Digitalgran said...

All this work is absolutely fantastic Maggie. I'm sorry you can't go to the FoQ. I'm not sure I am able to go either.