Translate

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Clarity..........artistic quotes

There are times when I have to re-evaluate what I am doing, and the direction my artwork is taking... it is not always a totally pleasant process, and I find myself drawn to the philosophical thinking of others. I have always held this quote by John Ruskin in high esteem.

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together.



Sometimes I find it hard, despite my best endeavours to keep all 3 elements in perfect harmony. It is usually the head that I have to work hard at, to keep it clear, probably a by- product of female multi tasking.

The hands and heart tend to work happily in tandem, making me a happy craft worker. Once the head is clear and sure of the direction. I feel I am achieving my ultimate goal of creating Fine Art, when all the elements are co-operating harmoniously

I wish I could follow Einstein in his thinking :-

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough"

Although there is a certain truth in this statement,my artistic happiness is a preference to work at a higher conscious level.




A work becomes a work of art when one re-evaluates the values of nature and adds one's own spirituality. -- Emil Nolde, artist

Mmmmmm....... can happily go with this quote, adding something of self is sooooo important.

Time to unclog the brain and just do it ...just hope the head keeps clear and co-operative.

1 comment:

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
I so enjoy your blog. I'm not exactly sure what a "walking" foot even is...but if it's working wonderfully for you, I'm happy you got one! I also don't really understand the problem with blogging and competitions/juried shows. I've never seen a call for entry carrying such a warning. Is this happening in England...or, do you know if it is a global consideration?

Also, I agree with your observation that it is difficult to keep head, hands, and heart in harmony. I, too, often step back to evaluate my path, my work, and my approaches to artmaking. It is nice to know others sharing the ultimate goal of making Fine Art.
Susan
Susan